Smoking Can Cause Platelets Aggregation in Blood
Platelets are important components in our blood. They are responsible for keeping the blood within the vessels. Research shows that Smoking can increase the count of the platelets in the blood. This can lead to clotting of the blood, medically called Thrombus. This article tries gains further insight.
What is Platelets Aggregation ?
- They are cells but without nucleus. They are produced in the bone marrow and live for 8 to 12 days.
- They block bleeding of blood, repair, replace and regenerate tissues in the body.
- Platelet count in normal healthy person is between 150,000 – 450,000 per microlitre of blood.
- When the platelets become too low, it causes excessive bleeding.
- If the count of platelets are high, it is called platelet aggregation causing clotting of blood.
- 1,727 people per year die on average because of Thrombus in U.S.
Research Findings on this Topic:
Cigarette smoke stimulates formation of a component called Thromboxane A2 in blood.These are molecules in the blood which activate newly produced platelets in the blood and also increase platelet aggregation. It significantly decreases a component found in the blood vessels called the Prostacyclin. Prostacyclin is responsible for stopping aggregation of platelets and keep the platelets count in check.
Why Women are at high risks ?
- According a study done in Poland, women were found to be more sensitive to smoking than men.
- Smoking increases the production of new platelets abnormally in women than in men.
- As a result, Women are prone to effects of Platelets aggregation like stroke and heart attack.
- Women smokers taking oral contraceptives are at risks 8 times more than non smokers.