Studies on Children Smoking show that, parental attitudes, actions, opinions about smoking have a great deal of influence on Children Smoking.
Smoking can harm a kid well before he/she reaches his/her adulthood by causing a number of
immediate, sometimes irreversible health risks and fatal diseases. So, to avoid these monstrous risks, parents should take effective actions and measures to protect their smoking children or preventing children to take up smoking.
Here are some important measures, which parents can take to prevent their children from the dangers of smoking:
- Parents should talk to their children about the dangers of smoking and should make it clear that they don’t approve it.
- Parental anti-smoking actions such as having restrictions in home on smoking, going to non smoking restaurants etc can have a profound influence on children.
- Parents must also take part against pro-smoking influences outside the home and in schools.
- Parents should not allow smoking in home and should not allow any visitors to smoke in their homes, and if they do smoke, they should not do it, in front children.
- Parents should not allow children to see and handle smoking materials.
- The best thing parents can do to reduce the chances of children’s smoking is to quit smoking by themselves. Children will be less likely to smoke when they grow up if parents don’t smoke.
- Parents can take their children to non smoking parks, restaurants etc whenever they want to enjoy and spend time with them. Showing children healthy activities to enjoy outdoors help them to choose their own healthy behaviors in the future.
- Involvement of parents to know a lot about their children’s friends, activities, and how they’re doing in school-can help children overcome or start smoking.
It is the responsibility of parents and they can help their kids to develop a firm, negative perception or attitude about smoking and its dangerous consequences in their children, and kids with such a strong perception are less likely to smoke. Lastly parents involvement and interest in children’s lives, their constant encouragement can not only reduce the chances of smoking in children, but also reduce the chances of children’s involvement in risky behaviors such as addiction to alcoholism, use of drugs etc