Are you looking for an easy way to quit smoking? A research study finds regular exercising or workouts are of great help in smoking cessation. Exercise not only helps in getting rid of smoking but also benefits you in many other ways.
Have you decided to quit your smoking habit? You will find many smoking cessation programs like the patch, nicotine gum and hypnosis. These programs are not only heavy on your pocket but are best as temporary solutions.
Did you ever think that exercise can be of great help in your smoking cessation program? By enhancing your will power exercise helps you win the quit smoking battle. When one plans to quit smoking, the stress levels increase. Exercising helps in quitting smoking by fighting against stress. We would discuss how and which exercises can help you in quitting smoking.
Exercises to Quit Smoking
Working out in a gym or at your home, helps in smoking cessation. The more you exercise, greater is the success of your smoking cessation program. To start with, you need to begin with light exercises. Make sure that you choose the exercises you can enjoy doing them. Below is the sample list of activities and exercises you can start with.
- Stair Climbing
- Light Weight Lifting
You can even try yoga and meditation. While meditating you can keep chanting â€œI will quit smoking.â€ This would work in building your resistance towards your temptation to smoke. An exhausting cardiovascular workout is necessary to make your lungs and heart strong and healthy. Whatever exercise you choose to do make sure that you start slowly. You can take help of an experienced physical trainer.
Benefits of Exercise to Quit Smoking
Although exercising may seem to be difficult and hard, it offers lot of benefits. Here are few benefits:
- Reduced toxin level
- Stress reduction
- Enhanced stamina
- Weight reduction
- Better muscle tone
- Improved physical appearance
- Sound sleep
- Improved disposition and attitude
- Increased sense of accomplishment and confidence
- Improved work performance
- Increased feeling of well being
- Improved health
Exercise also saves you from the weight gain accompanied with smoking cessation.
Points to Remember
There are few things you need to remember while exercising to quit smoking:
- You need to change your lifestyle completely. Make sure that you don’t indulge yourself in some other addiction.
- Make some healthy changes in your eating habits. Don’t stick to a particular type of food; instead try to include variety of foods in your diet.
- Try to keep a balance in your carbohydrate and protein intake.
- Avoid places and activities which might influence you to smoke.
- Consult your doctor before you start this program.
Remember that in the beginning exercising will hurt you but this will lead you to a healthier and long life.