Many people are under the misconception that smoking cigars don’t pose any significant health risks and it is a safe alternative to cigarette smoking. But cigar smoking does pose the same dangers as cigarette smoking.
Cigars have a high level of nicotine in them; usually more than that of cigarettes. In fact, some premium cigars have as much nicotine in them as an entire pack of cigarettes, or more. There are many facts about cigar smoking about which people are not informed.
Cigar smoke contains higher concentrations of toxic and carcinogenic compounds than cigarettes.The cancer-causing substances which are found in cigarettes are also found in cigars
In cigar smoking, if smoke is inhaled, nicotine directly enters to the bloodstream through the lungs. If not, the nicotine is absorbed through the lining of the mouth. Cigar smoke easily dissolves in saliva when compared to cigarette smoke because its composition is alkaline. This allows for quick absorption of nicotine, producing dependence without inhalation.
Facts About Cigar Smoking:
Cigar smoking is associated with a number of health risks. Here are some facts about cigar smoking:
- Smoking cigars causes cancers of the lung, oral cavity (lip, tongue, mouth, and throat), larynx (voice box), esophagus, and probably cancers of the bladder and pancreas.
- Many brands which come in flavors such as apple, cream and wine pose the same health risks as, or potentially more than cigarettes.
- Both cigarette and cigar smokers share a similar risk for cancers of the oral cavity and esophagus.
- Cigar smokers who smoke daily are at the same risk of developing heart disease and chronic lung disease as cigarette smokers.
- People who smoke 1 or 2 cigars daily double their risk of oral and esophageal cancer over nonsmokers.
- People who smoke 3 to 4 cigars a day increase their risk of oral cancers by 8 times and esophageal cancers by 4 times that of nonsmokers.
- Cigar smokers are at an increased risk for chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases such as chronic bronchitis and emphysema over nonsmokers.
- Cigar smokers are also at the same risk for alveolar bone loss as cigarettes smokers.
- Tobacco contained in a large cigar can be equivalent to tobacco contained in a pack of cigarettes
- Most of the cigars do not contain a filter
- The compounds present in cigars are as carcinogenic, addictive and toxic as those in cigarettes
Regular cigar smokers as compared to cigarettes smokers are equally at the risk of dying of all forms of cancer, heart diseases, deadly cardiovascular ailments and other fatal diseases. All forms of tobacco have risks associated with them, and cigars are no exception. So don’t be fooled. There is no such thing as a risk-free tobacco product.