Quitting Smoking and Insomnia : Insomnia is one of the major smoking withdrawal symptoms. The smokers generally suffer from lack of sleep for 3 and more weeks after they start quitting smoking. Here we suggest you some easy tips on how to combat this problem and get healthy sleep every night.
Many smokers often complain about sleeplessness or insomnia after quitting smoking. It is observed that insomnia is one of the most common withdrawal symptoms. Nicotine withdrawal is the main reason for insomnia after smoking cessation. In few cases during the withdrawal phase smokers tend to sleep more, although it is rare. This symptom is prominent during the initial weeks of quitting smoking.
Why Insomnia After Quitting Smoking???
Sleep can be defined as a state which gives your body complete rest and rebuilds your strength. Insomnia is a type of sleep disorder which is characterized by difficulty in getting enough sleep or to retain that state for long. Insomnia during smoking cessation mainly results due to nicotine addiction, anxiety, tension and stress. It is observed that in few cases along with insomnia you might also suffer from depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, stress and fear for no obvious reason.
How Long Does Insomnia Last?
Generally it is observed that insomnia associated to smoking cessation lasts at least for a week. Chronic insomnia or long term insomnia generally continues for 3 or more weeks. In case you are suffering from chronic insomnia then the main reason might be depression or some other factors least connected to your smoking cessation. Individualized treatment plan is made according to the severity of the symptoms.
How to Treat Insomnia after Quitting Smoking Naturally?
Here are few natural ways to treat insomnia associated to smoking cessation:
- If you are facing problem sleeping at night it is advisable for you to avoid coffee and caffeine products. Before quitting smoking your body was able to resist the caffeine effects. But after smoking cessation, caffeine makes you anxious and nervous.
- You can increase your sleep duration by taking a cup of herbal tea daily. You can take herbal tea that can increase and soothe your sleep.
- Before sleeping avoid taking alcohol as it may disturb your sleep. It is observed that after drinking you fall asleep fast but it is not sound sleep.
- Try getting up early in the morning and avoid afternoon naps. This would be highly beneficial in combating insomnia.
- Before going to bed take a nice, warm and soothing bath as it is the best way to relax and de-stress.
- Before sleeping drink a glass of warm milk. It will be helpful in getting sound sleep as it contains L-tryptophans amino acid. This amino acid relaxes your tired nerves hence ensures that you get sound sleep.
- Daily try to do light exercise at least for 15 minutes. Even exercising can help you in treating insomnia.
- You can even experiment with alternative methods like meditation, body massage or music therapy to induce sound sleep.
These simple tips would help you in combating insomnia. All you need to do is to relax and be committed to your goal of quitting smoking.