Nicotine gum is a form of nicotine replacement therapy (NRT). This medication is used as a temporary aid to stop smoking. This helps to stop nicotine cravings and relieves symptoms that occur when a person is trying to quit smoking.
Many people do the mistake of using nicotine gum without doctor’s recommendation. Whenever you decide to quit smoking through nicotine gum, it is always wise to take your doctor’s recommendations.
What are the benefits of nicotine gum?
- They are easy to use.
- They are available in different strengths and flavours.This shows that this therapy can be “tailored” to each individual smoker.
- They provide a steady supply of nicotine and slowly prevent you from the craving of nicotine.
- They are effective.
Important things to remember while using nicotine gum:
- Carefully follow the usage instructions.
- Don’t smoke and don’t use other forms of tobacco while you’re using the nicotine gum. If you do so, you will invite other dangerous health problems.
- Do not use the gums if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding, unless your doctor tells you to do so.
- You should also talk to your doctor before using nicotine gum, if you are younger than 18 years old.
- Tell your doctor if you are under any other medications. The gum may change how some medicines work.
- Also, tell your doctor if you have any illnesses such as heart disease, an over-active thyroid gland, diabetes, severe kidney or liver disease, or stomach ulcers etc and get the right suggestion.
- Nicotine may cause side effects like mouth ulcers, jaw muscle aches, dizziness, headache, upset stomach etc. Inform your doctor, if any of these side effects become severe.
- It is best to avoid eating or drinking for 15 minutes before using, or while chewing the gum, as this can reduce the gum’s effectiveness.
- Do not chew nicotine gum too fast, do not chew more than one piece of gum at a time, and do not chew one piece too soon after another.
- Do not use nicotine gum longer than 6 months without talking with your doctor.