Nicotine Lozenge is one of the temporary aids that is used in smoking cessation. It is a form of NRT (Nicotine Replacement Therapy) that helps in reducing nicotine cravings and in relieving from nicotine withdrawal symptoms.
Advantages of Nicotine Lozenge:
- It is easy to use.
- One can easily control the doses.
- It works effectively in reducing nicotine cravings and withdrawal symptoms.
- This method is proved more successful than other methods of NRT
- It has a pleasant taste.
- It is sugar-free which prevents you putting on weight.
Side-effects of Nicotine Lozenge:
- You can become addicted to this.
- It can cause sore mouth and throat.
- It can cause indigestion.
- Can cause heartburn
- Can cause hiccups and flatulence
- Can cause insomnia
- It may cause any other side-effects except the ones listed here.
These side-effects are usually short lived which disappear with the use of nicotine lozenge.
Symptoms of overdose of Nicotine Lozenge:
- Rapid heart beat
Immediately go to the doctor if any of the above symptoms of Lozenge occurs due to overdose.
Important things to remember while using nicotine lozenge:
Many people do a mistake of using nicotine lozenge without their doctors’ recommendation. Whenever you decide to quit smoking through nicotine lozenge and want to use it as a substitute to cigarettes, it is always wise to take your doctor’s advice and recommendations.
Here are some things that you need know and consider while using nicotine lozenge.
- Carefully follow the usage instructions as prescribed.
- Don’t go beyond the prescribed time limit.
- Be sure not to use other forms of smoking or tobacco while using nicotine lozenge.
- Be sure not to use the lozenge if you are pregnant, planning for pregnancy or breastfeeding without your doctor’s permission.
- Do not use nicotine inhaler more than 6 months without talking to your doctor.
- Immediately inform and contact your doctor in case of severity of the above side-effects.
- Don’t keep the lozenge out of the reach of children and pets.
- Do not use it more than 3 months without informing your doctor.
- Inform your doctor if you are taking any sort of prescription or non-prescription medications, herbal products, vitamins, nutritional supplements etc.
- If you have any of the below medical conditions or other serious health problems heart discuss with your doctor before using nicotine lozenge.
Heart diseases or problems
Recent heart attack
High blood pressure
An Important NOTE:
- Place the lozenge in your mouth and with the help of your tongue move it from one side to the other. Avoid biting or chewing the lozenge as this causes more nicotine to be swallowed quickly and results in heartburn or indigestion.
- Do remember that it is generally taken 15 minutes after eating or drinking
- Don’t use more than one at a time or one immediately after the other
- Don’t use more than 5 lozenges in six hours and 20 lozenges in a day.