Pregnancy is a great time for you to quit smoking. If you quit smoking, you can avoid all the pregnancy complications, and secondly you will be assured of a healthy baby. The act might be a boon to your baby as well as to your own health.
What are the dangers your baby will face, if you don’t stop smoking during pregnancy?
- Smoking during pregnancy slows the baby growth and often results in early birth and low-birth-weight.
- There is a higher risk of complications and miscarriage.
- Infants are more likely to die of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome).
- Infants are at a greater risk of asthma which may continue through their life.
- Infants exposed to secondhand smoke are at a higher risk of pneumonia, bronchitis, ear infections etc.
- Infants are more likely to suffer from all sorts’ fatal diseases and cancers related to smoking in later life.
Here are the top tips to how to quit smoking during pregnancy:
- In the first place make a list of all the reasons why you want to quit and benefits you and your baby can gain of quitting.
- Secondly take a strong positive affirmation like “I will not smoke for my baby.”
- Tell your friends and family members that you are going to stop smoking ask their assistance.
- Instead of smoking after a meal, start something new like reading books related to baby health and pregnancy or go for a walk.
- Instead of smoking when you read the newspaper, start drinking a milk shake or eat a small nutritious snack.
- If you really can’t help stopping smoking during pregnancy then it is better if you consult care provider or go for counseling or attend some stop smoking program.
- Don’t feel embarrassed to inform your care provider that you’re smoking. Because they are the people who give the best guidance to quit smoking during your precious days.
- Practice some pregnancy related exercises or yoga or meditations during pregnancy or attend the classes.
- Make your house a non-smoking building and ask your co-workers, friends and family members not to smoke before you.
- Talk to other women who stopped smoking during pregnancy and the benefits they acquired out of that.
- Always remember for whom you are quitting. Put up pictures of healthy babies in your bed room, this will definitely change your mindset to quit smoking in order to have a healthy baby.
- Look at pictures of sick babies, so that it may remind you what may happen to your baby if you don’t quit smoking.